Star Background





About Us

My photo
I have recently decided that we are superstars. I work full time as an ABA Consultant and am a full time student working toward my psych degree. I have the most amazing man in my life - Rob is every dream come true that I have had. He works hard, plays hard, and we are making our dreams come true one day at a time. We are the proud parents of 6 cats and 2 dogs. Ya. It is a circus but I love every minute of it!

Friday, February 4, 2011

Photo A Day 2.3.2011- Dinner


Today's picture is my dinner. Now at first glance it may not seem like it has great (or any at all) cultural value in America. BUT- I would like to point out that this is salmon, rice, and broccoli. To me, this is a combination of a few cultures into one meal that I consider pretty American.  Seafood and rice usually comes from coastal cultures and while I lived in California for over a decade I very rarely had seafood. It just cost too much. Now that I am here in The Gulf Of Mexico seafood is crazy cheaper and there is so much more of it to go around. The fish is fried in Italian dressing which kind of caramelizes and then is used as a sauce for the rice as the salmon. I had never heard of cooking fish with Italian dressing until I moved to Louisiana and lived next door to a professional fisherman. (A little Louisiana culture). The Rice is balsamatti rice which was recommended to Rob by a friend a work. So yummy!! Not sticky like some white rice and it doesn't take as long to cook as brown rice.  We eat a lot of broccoli at my house and I attribute it to growing up on a farm where vegetables were the cheapest food to eat since we grew them right out front. (A little farm culture for ya!) See! I told you that there was culture in my dinner!!

No comments:

Post a Comment